Download Hank’s vCard
Browse Hank’s Blog
Hank Stout co-founded Sutliff & Stout, PLLC because he wanted to help real people with real problems. Raised in a small West Texas town, Hank was taught the value of hard work, determination, fairness and helping others. And his early interest in the law was inspired by his greatest role model, his father. As the son of an attorney and former State Court District Judge, Hank learned as a child that through the legal system you can help folks stand up for themselves and hold irresponsible people and companies accountable for their actions.
After graduating high school, Hank attended the University of Mississippi where he earned his degree in just three and a half years. He then enrolled in law school at South Texas College of Law in Houston, Texas and earned his doctor of jurisprudence in just two and a half years.
Upon completing law school, Hank worked as a trial attorney for several large law firms, including Phelps Dunbar and Chamberlain Hrdlicka. While working at these large law firms, Hank represented Fortune 500 companies, mid-sized businesses and large insurance companies. Having learned how large corporations and insurance companies operate, Hank decided to leave his practice at the large firm and focus his legal practice on personal injury.
In 2008, Hank and Graham Sutliff established Sutliff & Stout PLLC to represent the rights of individuals and families. Through the justice of the legal system, Sutliff & Stout PLLC seeks to help individuals and families who have been harmed by the carelessness of others.
Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation
- Successfully litigated a wrongful death, medical products liability case on behalf of a widow and her two daughters against an EKG manufacturer
- Successfully litigated a wrongful death, tire defect case on behalf of a widow against a large USA tire manufacturer.
- Successfully litigated a wrongful death case on behalf of a mother and her two grandsons when the carelessness of a driver resulted in the death of a daughter and mother.
Admiralty and Maritime Litigation
- Successfully litigated a Jones Act, general maritime law and unseaworthiness case that resulted in a $2,632,500.00 settlement where a man broke both of his ankles and his ability to return to work offshore was taken from him. Net recovery to client $1,764,587.37.
- Successfully litigated a Jones Act, general maritime law and unseaworthiness case that resulted in a $2,072,500.00 settlement where a man broke his ankle and required a low back surgery. Net recovery to client $1,202,397.01.
Business and General Litigation
- Successfully litigated a complex fraud and breach of fiduciary duty case on behalf of “Mattress Mack,” a local Houston businessman, against former horse trainer, Bob Baffert, and bloodstock agents, the McKathan Brothers, as well as other thoroughbred racehorse consignors
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
Education and Professional Background
- South Texas College of Law, J.D.
- University of Mississippi, B.B.A.
Admitted to practice: State of Texas; U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas; Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers – Thomson Reuters – 2014, 2015, 2016
- Texas Super Lawyers (Rising Stars) – Thomson Reuters – 2012, 2013, 2014
- Houston Top Lawyers – H Magazine – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Houston Top Lawyer – Houstonia Magazine – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Board Member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Law Review Member, South Texas College of Law
- “Superb” Rating by Avvo – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Part of Sutliff & Stout’s mission is to create safer, happier, and more productive communities. We take this mission seriously. Click here to see a list of ways that we give back to the communities that have given us so much.